Sunday, October 7, 2012

In house soft light.

EOS 60D, F/5.6, 1/200s, ISO-400, 100L + 580EXII + DIY light modifier


I was looking for a light modifier to soften my harsh flash light. Was thinking about buying LumiQuest III or Rogue. I was'nt sure if it will work for me... or do I have to work for it? Instead of buying and then trying, why not trying and then if it works for me then buy.

DIY time. With a cake box, scissors, tracing paper, tape and other nick naks, I build my first flash soft box. It looks similar to the LumiQuest but with the a small downside. Its not durable but do-able for now hehehe. It increases the light source to about 4x the speedlite flash area. Here it is. Not a preitty sight hehehe.





The above picture was the first test using the in house soft light. The spider above is actually larger than the one that was taken previously. Lighting it with a bare speedlite give a very harsh shadow. With the DIY light modifier I could take a bigger critters. Just need to remember that the light source needs to be bigger than the subject and must be near. Will post other tests with this light modifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment